Here at Hortica, we understand that sometimes “standard insurance” just isn’t enough when it comes to facing liability issues. Personal umbrella insurance is there for when you and your family are in need of protection for large losses that exceed the normal insurance limits provided by homeowner, personal auto, and recreational vehicle/ watercraft policies. These limits can include anything in $1,000,000 increments, up to $5,000,000 and possibly more.
While many standard insurance policies protect against liability claims, umbrella goes where those policies can’t – when standard limits stop, umbrella kicks in.
Points to consider:
- Your court costs and attorney will be paid off
- Covers all aspects of the insurance world: home, auto, motorcycle, boat, etc.
- Customers are covered even out of the country
- Doesn’t just cover car accidents
- Will pay your defense cost even if you win your case
Although personal umbrella policies are optional, they are very helpful and are highly recommended.
Say you are in a car accident in which you are held responsible for and the other person is injured. The other driver is suing you for a large amount of money because they will be out of work for an extended amount of time and needs to pay off medical bills. Your standard insurance only covers so much, so thats when umbrella steps in to help fill the gap between what regular insurance covers and how much you’re being sued for.
If your homeowners policy includes Personal Injury protection an umbrella would provide needed extra coverage for large losses that exceed your basic coverage.
Examples of Personal Injury claims include:
- False arrest
- Invasion of privacy- There are two types pf expectations of privacy:
- Subjective: when an individual deems a location or situation private (coming from opinion). This varies from person to person.
- Privacy generally recognized by society for legitimate and objective reasons
Although personal umbrella can be sold on its own, at Hortica, we want to make sure you get the most bang for your buck. We recommend personal umbrella to be purchased along with your other insurance needs. We want to make sure you are secure and covered in any situation.
To many people, personal umbrella may seem like a step too far and that it will most likely not be needed. While that thought is completely fair, also think about your “hidden vulnerabilities”; meaning the aspects that aren’t normally considered to be an issue when it comes to insurance claims.
Questions to ask yourself:
- Is there a teenage driver in your family?
- Are you a home or condo owner?
- Do you have a housekeeper, or someone who regularly is hired to take care of your house?
- Do you own a boat or any other kind of recreational vehicle?
- Do you have a large or excitable dog?
- How active are you in outdoor sports are you? Such as: waterskiing, golfing, rock/ mountain climbing
If you answered ‘yes’ to any of these questions, you are perfectly eligible for personal umbrella insurance.
With all the unpredictable and possibly obscure situations that can happen, it’s important to let your insurance go the extra mile for you. As a trusted home and auto insurer, Hortica wants to go that extra mile to protect you and your family during those unforeseeable situations.