Whether it’s buying stock, helping market a garden center, or offering business advice, Master Nursery Garden Centers, Inc., is there to help. It’s a multi-million-dollar, member-owned cooperative comprised exclusively of independent retail garden centers.
Master Nursery began back in 1951, when a small group of San Francisco Bay Area nursery owners realized that they could reduce their advertising cost by purchasing ads as a group. It not only saved them money, but extended the influence of each garden center. This simple beginning ultimately led to the creation of the cooperative.
According to the group’s website, Master Nursery works to help its members succeed as independent nursery professionals in a competitive marketplace. Members are owners of independent, full-service retail garden centers with minimum annual sales of $500,000. At least a third of their sales must be from garden center green and hard goods. Potential members must have good credit and be members in good standing in their own communities.
Once they’re accepted, member businesses get exclusive access to Master Nursery branded products, successful marketing programs, professional support staff, and quality business services.
Membership offers independent garden centers purchasing power that they wouldn’t experience on their own, plus a host of other benefits, including:
- Discounts up to 18 percent from national green goods suppliers
- Extended dating on many purchases
- Vendor rebate programs
- Exclusive trademarked products that can only be sold in members’ stores
- Employee training and certification
- Networking opportunities with other leaders in the industry
- Regional sales and member support to maximize membership benefits
- Marketing support via website and social media
- Point of purchase materials
- Regional membership meetings held in conjunction with key trade shows
- Annual owners’ meetings
Hortica is proud to be one of Master Nursery Garden Centers’ approved vendors. For more information about the cooperative, check out their website.
If you’d like to find horticultural events taking place around the country, check out our Industry Events page. You’ll find many benefits for your business now and in the future.
Considering the construction of a new greenhouse? Take a look at the National Greenhouse Manufacturers Association, another of our Key Partners.